Model YB samplers provide composite or discrete sampling of non-toxic or toxic liquids. Sophisticated software coupled with either continuity or advanced ultrasonic liquid sensor technology ensures that YB samplers deliver accurate and repeatable sample volumes. YB samplers are ideal for a wide range of applications including NPDES compliance, industrial-treatment, combined sewer overflow, sewer inflow and infiltration, storm water, wastewater treatment plant process control, and many others.
Reliable Peristaltic Pump
YB samplers employ a field proven 3/8-inch ID peristaltic pump to collect samples. The pump easily meets EPA criteria for representative intake velocities, and is constructed of advanced thermoplastics to resist corrosion and ensure rigidity. The pump rollers and tubing can be visually inspected without taking the pump apart. To reduce maintenance and replacement costs, the 3/8-inch ID pump uses silicone rubber tubing. The YB outperforms other peristaltic sampler brands by delivering consistent and accurate sample volumes even with changing head heights.
The optional refrigerator is durable and corrosion resistant. Capable of maintaining samples at the EPA recommended 4°C even in high ambient temperatures, this industrial-grade refrigerator is built to handle the toughest environments. Features such as a corrosion-resistant frame and exterior, refrigerant lines wrapped with asphalt cork tape to resist damaging environments, non-ferrous evaporation coils with corrosion resistant finish, and a heavy-duty compressor enable reliable operation under the harshest conditions.
The sampler’s microprocessor based controller is housed in a NEMA 4X/NEMA 6 enclosure for environmental protection. The controller offers advanced functionality and features such as data logging, review of settings and operating status, and a variety of flow and time modes. With its step-by-step menu format, dedicated-button keypad, and large backlit LCD, the controller is simple to setup, even in the dark! Easy to understand prompts and "shortcut" keys save manpower and time by avoiding frustrating navigation through long, complicated menu structures.
Single or Multiple Bottle Sampling
The YB sampler has various bottle options for single or 24-bottle sampling of non-toxic or toxic liquids, and meets EPA priority pollutant collection protocol
Comprehensive, Flexible Programming
The exceptional sampling software is designed to be highly flexible and easy to use. The menu-driven system provides many programming features.
- Controller: W 10.75 in. (27.30 cm) x H 7.00 in. (17.78 cm) x D 9.75 in. (24.76 cm)
- Refrigerator: W 23.875 in. (60.65 cm) x H 34.5 in. (87.63 cm) x D 24 in. (60.96 cm)
- Complete Unit (Controller & Refrigerator): W 23.875 in. (60.65 cm) x H 41.5 in. (105.41 cm) x D 24 in. (60.96 cm)
- Optional Hinged Hood for Controller: W 24.75 in. (62.87 cm) x H 52.50 in. (133.35 cm) x D 24.50 in. (62.23 cm)
- Optional NEMA 3R Sampler House: W 32 in. (81.3 cm) x H 74 in. (187.9 cm) x D 30 in. (76.2 cm)
||120 lbs. (54.48 kg) with optional refrigerator and empty sample bottle(s)
||NEMA 4X/NEMA 6 structural resin housing around electromechanical components
||Optional refrigerator capable of maintaining samples at 39°F (4°C)
||Standard unit: 32° to 122°F (0° to 50°C); unit with optional heaters and/or hood: -40° to 122°F (-40° to 50°C)
||High-speed 3/8-inch peristaltic 12 VDC pump with impact and corrosion-resistant plastic pump body, and dual-roller mechanism
||Clear pump cover removal stops powered rotation of pump
|Pump Tubing /
|Silicone rubber tubing/typical 1.25 million revolutions life
||28 ft. (8.5 m)
||2 ft./sec. @ 5 ft. of lift (0.6 m/sec. @ 1.5 m of lift)
||Programmed directly in 1 ml increments
||Typical •±5 ml or ±5% of the set sample volume (whichever is greater)
||Continuity type or optional non-contacting ultrasonic
||Hermetically sealed 24-key, multiple function keypad with 2-line by 20-character alphanumeric backlit LCD
||Indicates real time with ± 1 minute per month accuracy
|Internal Battery Backup
||5-year internal lithium battery to maintain program logic, RAM memory, real-time clock, and date
||110 VAC, 220 VAC, 110 VAC with battery backup, or 220 VAC with battery backup
|Alarm Contacts (optional)
||Three SPST contacts rated 5A 110/220 VAC
|Input / Output (optional)
||Closed contact or 12 VDC pulsed input with or without 4-20mA input and/or RS-232 output in various combinations
Programming features include but are not limited to:
- Data logging (512 event capacity)
- Flow proportional pacing (contact closure)
- Flow pacing with time override capability
- Flow pacing with delay sampling feature
- Flow pacing with maintained event sampling
- Totalized flow pacing (analog input)
- Uniform and non-uniform time intervals
- Multiple bottles per sample
- Pump tubing life warning indication • Multiple bottle compositing
- Bottle grouping
- Program delay (time or flow) •
- Sampling based on external device input
- Hydrologic level event mode (storm water sampling)
- Real-time clock
- Password protection
- Settable sample volume
- Manual test cycle
- Activity review log (current and past)
- Intake fault alert
- Intake line rinse
- Intake line purge
- Automatic shut-off
- Power fail/auto restart
- Multiple samples per bottle
Spare Parts and Accessories
- Replacement pumo tubing (precut 18 in. length)
- Contact/pulse/analog input cables
- RS-232 output 6 in. patch cable
- Multiple-to-single bottle conversion kit
- Replacement bottles
- The sampler is suitable for automatic collection and preservation of composite or discrete non-toxic or toxic liquid samples.
- The controller enclosure is made of structural resin with NEMA 4X/NEMA 6 ratings.
All wetted parts have a minimum ID of 3/8 inch, and are stainless steel or PVC (optional strainer) PVC or Teflon (sampling hose), and silicon rubber (pump tubing).
- A high-speed 3/8 inch ID peristaltic pump with two rollers of at least 0.7 inch (17.78 mm) in diameter is incorporated to increase tubing life. Pumps using smaller rollers will not be used to increase pump life. Samplers that do not use such a mechanism are not acceptable. The pump body is constructed of corrosion and impact resistant Delrin. The pump mechanism has a clear cover plate which enables visual inspection of rollers, pump spindle, and tubing. Samplers requiring removal of part or all of its pump housing for visual inspection will not be acceptable.
- The sample liquid must be under forced flow at all times and shall not pass through a metering chamber, valves or distribution plate. The sampler is equipped with a liquid sensing system that calculates the flow rate of the liquid in the intake line each collection cycle.
- The sampler enables field conversion to provide composite or discrete sampling without using special tools.
- The sampler collects composite an/or discrete samples. For composite sampling an overflow protection mechanism shall automatically terminate any further sampling. Discrete sampling can be multiple bottles of the same sample or multiple samples in multiple bottles.
- Systems relying upon sensing bottle weight to determine sample volume shall be unacceptable due to the variance in sample densities, and the need to calibrate the weight sensing mechanism.
- Bottle-full condition is detected by using a stainless steel sensor located in the bottle neck. It is easily removable for cleaning or replacement without using special tools.
- The sampler is capable of EPA recommended transport velocity of 2 ft./sec through 3/8 inch ID tubing at a draw height of 5 feet using the 3/8 inch ID pump. The sampler has an optional weighted strainer of PVC or stainless steel.
- A hermetically sealed 24-button keypad and a 2-line by 20-character alphanumeric backlit LCD is linked to a programmable CPU.
- Sample bottle(s) are located below the controller in a carbon steel refrigerator (with iron phosphate pretreatment covered by baked acrylic enamel) or a stainless steel refrigerator. The refrigerator condenser is made of carbon steel with baked enamel finish. Copper refrigerant lines are coated with asphalt cork tape for protection from hydrogen sulfide gas attack. A thermostat included within the refrigerator ensures that a temperature of 4OC is maintained. The evaporator coils are rolled aluminum with baked acrylic enamel finish. The fan motor is unit bearing.
- The 475 BTU compressor has a high efficiency fan and condenser arrangement permitting reliable operation in high ambient temperatures. Foam insulation forms a CFC-free polyethylene with an interior of food grade ABS.
- The sampler does not use unique symbols or codes for programming or to indicate operating conditions. The software is menu driven, prompting input of requested information using the keypad. The display indicates each programming step. After entering data the system automatically advances to the next programming step.
- A password feature restricts access to authorized persons only.
- A sampling program can be delayed by entering the number of hours and minutes for the sampler to count down, or the number of contact closures to occur. The delay is independent of the sampling interval.
- The sampler purges the sample hose immediately prior to and following each sample. Purge duration is selectable.
- The sampler has the capability to rinse the sample hose with source liquid prior to each sample selected by user.
- If a sample is not obtained on the first attempt, it immediately retries to collect the sample. If the sample still cannot be collected, the sampler will omit that sample and then continue the sampling sequence.
- When initiated by a keystroke, the sampler is capable of manual sampling independent of a programmed sequence. The sampler logs manual collections, and is selectable to allow taking test samples:
- Only when the sampler is not running a program.
- During a program but the test samples are not counted as a sample.
- During a program and the test samples count as a sample
- In time mode, the interval between samples are adjustable (1-9999 min. in 1 min increments). In the flow mode, it accepts and totalizes contact closures (1-9999), a 12 VDC pulsed input or a 4-20mA DC analog signal input for sampling at a user set point.
- A hydrologic event algorithm is used to enable sample programming based on a combination of parameters including water level, differential (rising and falling) water levels, and time defaults as established by the U.S. Geological Survey for hydrologic events.
- Operating status is reviewed with minimal effort, and includes: program status, current time, time and date program started, active bottle number, active group period, number of samples collected, volume collected, number of contact closures, number of line blockages, minutes or flow signals remaining to the next sample, number of samples remaining, volume remaining, and time to override. All program settings are reviewed in addition to seeing the review of the completed program. Diagnostics for RAM, ROM, pump and distributor is included.
- The entire refrigerated sampler is closed in an optional weather-resistant NEMA 3R outdoor enclosure made of fiberglass-reinforced polyester and insulated with 0.75 in. (19.05 mm) polyurethane. It is equipped with a full-size gasketed door with lockable latch, duplex outlet, air vents, and access holes for the sampling hose. It shall also include any or all of these: an optional heater wit thermostat suitable for operation to –40°F outside temperature, an optional light and/or fan.
- This sampler is a Manning Model YB-series.