Gloss is measured by directing a constant intensity light beam, at a fixed angle, on to the test surface and then monitoring the amount of reflected light from the same angle.
This specular reflectance is measured using a glossmeter. Different surfaces require different reflective angles.
Surfaces with a brilliant or highly polished finish reflect images clearly. This distinct reflection is caused by the incident light reflecting on the surface in a specular direction.
Semi & Matt Gloss
Semi and matt surfaces reflect images less distinctly and with reduced intensity. On semi or matt surfaces light not only reflects in a specular direction but also is scattered causing the reflected image to appear diffused.
|The Elcometer 480 range are easy to use glossmeters which combine high accuracy, repeatability and reproducibility with functionality making them the most advanced glossmeters on the market today.
- Small, robust & ergonomic
- 3 - 10 readings per second
- Repeatable, reproducible & accurate
- Multiple angles; 20°, 60°, 85°
- 40,000 reading memory in up to 2,500 batches
- Date and time stamped readings
- USB & Bluetooth® data output
- PC, iPhone or Android™ compatible
- Automatic gauge & tile diagnostics
- Auto calibration tile recognition via RFID*
- 40 user definable limit standards
- Standard, auto repeat and scan modes
- Differential mode with pass/fail
- Display readings, statistics, graphs & batch review
||The Model Range
The Elcometer 480 is available as either a simple entry level 60° glossmeter or state of the art Single, Dual or Triple angle variants.
- Single: 60°
- Dual: 20° & 60°
- Triple: 20°, 60° & 85°
||Memory and Batching
Store 40,000 date and timed stamped readings in up to 2,500 user definable
Readings can be transferred to PC, iPhone, Android™ or other mobile devices
via USB or Bluetooth® for instant reporting using ElcoMaster™ software.
Fully customisable, scratch and solvent resistant colour LCD allows the user to
- Gloss, % Reflectance or Haze readings
- Readings and Differential with pass/fail
- Trend Graph
- Analogue Scan Bar
||Standard, Auto Repeat & Scan Modes
No two inspections are the same. It is for this reason that the Elcometer 480
is equipped with three measurement modes:
- Standard Mode: Press the measure button to take an individual spot measurement.
- Auto Repeat Mode: When the glossmeter is slid over the surface a measurement of all three angles is automatically taken at a user definable rate between 10 - 180 readings per minute. When enabled all the individual readings are stored into memory.
- Scan Mode: As the glossmeter slides over the entire surface area the gauge measures all three angles at a continuous rate of 10 readings per second. When stopped, the gauge displays and stores the average, highest and lowest values - ideal for checking a sample’s overall uniformity.